Labor and childbirth are transformative moments. Painful and powerful passages almost beyond words.
Despite being such a common human experience, each birth is a unique journey that demands everything a mother has to give: strength, patience, determination, and a deep selfless love. But how do we pray during birth? How do we pray for those giving birth?
In honor of the life-giving work that mothers do and fathers, friends and family witness, I’ve collected some of my favorite posts on prayer for birth:
- prayers for childbirth: God as midwife
- prayers for childbirth: Christ as companion
- prayers for childbirth: Spirit as intercessor
- a reflection on birth as beginning a lifetime of letting go
- the holiness of hard work we do behind closed doors
So many Scripture passages evoke labor pains and childbirth. So many people come here each day in search of prayers for labor and delivery – for themselves or those they love. Both these facts speak truth about birth as a profound spiritual experience, worthy of prayer and reflection.
What prayers or practices have you found helpful for birthing? Please share your wisdom here!